Tuesday 2 April 2013

A good man . . .

10 Forsythia Grove
Outer Hamlet
CORSETTSHIRE  ZY6 4GT
My Dear Ralph
Today I received a telephone call from Marian, Pom-Pom's sister.  The dear old fellow apparently died at 4.00am this morning.  Frankly dear, I am relieved that his long struggle is finally over.  Indeed a whole era is over.  He was that rare thing in our society: a good man, and I will miss him.
Marian did ask me if I would like to attend his funeral, but I said I felt that the redoubtable Xanthe would not welcome my presence at this event - and that Pom-Pom and I had said all that we needed to say to one another while he was alive.  Of course, that still leaves Meribel, Pom-Pom's cat, whose care I took over when he was no longer able to safely stoop down to the cat litter.  Meribel is getting old now, and I don't know how much longer she herself will last; however, she is here with me at Forsythia Grove and we will get on as best we can.
Yours
Aunt Agatha

No comments:

Post a Comment