Saturday 15 December 2012

Secret Service: EPISODE 95

10 Forsythia Grove
Outer Hamlet
CORSETTSHIRE  ZY6 4GT
 
My Dear Ralph
I have been having one or two hours of sober reflection pet, quite possibly due to my having been 'on the wagon' for at least 24 hours now.  In fact, I do seem to be more than usually connected to my own self - a change manifested in a rather more elegant selection of attire.  Would anyone really recognize me (have I wanted to be recognized?) in this cream linen costume, complemented only by the most subtle of ornaments, and Lily of the Valley perfume?  Or without lashings of mascara and layers of face powder?  My dear.  I would stand revealed; the grey of my eyes would be clearly seen. 
For so many decades, I moved at the centre of intra- governmental powers, exercising my own formidable powers - sending the people who are agents deep into 'the field,' making decisions which, after all, resulted in life or death, and sifting intelligence with all the forensic logic afforded to my own brain.  And all this was underpinned by the attempt to apply the integrity and values that any human being - and especially one empowered - should (in my view) be developing their whole lives long.
Now dear, upon retirement (albeit semi),  it has been hard to create an identity which has the same integrity and identified purpose.  I have become an almost ghost, both part-revealed and part-concealed.  What will I become?  Where will I end?
Yours
'C' 

No comments:

Post a Comment