Sunday 12 August 2012

Prostration . . .

10 Forsythia Grove
Outer Hamlet
CORSETTSHIRE  ZY6 4GT


My Dear Ralph
I must say that I have been sleeping like one deceased this week pet and I fear that this missive may be short!  Recent endeavours associated with moving home are prostrating, especially to a lady of my years who is (almost) past her prime!  I also feel most reluctant to engage in any alternative-style commissions which might require high levels of attention and energy for sleuthing along pavements and loitering, camouflaged, behind trees . . .
However, with Chumley's voice resounding about the eardrums, I did manage to crawl out of bed at around 6am. (I believe this may have something to do with the lack of curtain ware up at the windows and light generally blazing in through the glass.)  I do think a hot water bottle and appropriate draught exclusion measures might be necessary in a stone dwelling of this type during the winter months.  Chumley and I have already had to avail ourselves of the services of our panel heater in order to preserve a vestige of warmth inside these (solid) walls.  I have also had my first go at using the spin drier and, all I can say - subsequent to using my full body weight to pin it down in the hallway - is roll on the day when I can acquire a washing machine!
Meanwhile, I have been for another early walk through the local fields and this time the sheep were all lying down on the grass having a nap.  I have to say though dear, that I really felt so exhausted that I could barely totter to the top of the hill before feeling that the most sensible thing I could do - was to go back home.  And here I am now, admiring a mature Beech tree (luckily situated in someone else's garden) and a Buddleia which is also resplendently in bloom.
I am not altogether sure what to make of the neighbours opposite at the moment.  I think they just may have caught sight of the Banger 0.9L and so may have concluded that I am 'on my uppers' so-to-speak.  And they would most certainly be right!  Never mind though pet.  I am sure I will be able to find one or two nice people who will be willing to speak to me - although I must make sure not to attract the attention of any single gentleman who may also be hanging about the street waiting to pounce on an unwary single lady!
Yours
Aunt Agatha 

No comments:

Post a Comment